I met with an attorney that I do a lot of work with today. One of the things that amazes me about him is that he never gets sick. Ever.
And yet, he’s sick for the second time in a month. With exactly what I have. He was sick two weeks ago, as well. With pretty much exactly what I had earlier this month. Hmm.
That got me thinking that maybe, just maybe that my recent run of illness is in fact a run of Bad Luck™. Perhaps my immune system isn’t run down or tired or depressed, but, rather, I’ve had the misfortune to encounter several very virulent diseases in rapid succession. Or, as he put it, “This is February in New Jersey. What are you going to do?”
Again I didn’t work out today, because I’m still coughing quite a bit and I had to work this evening anyway (so no class even if I was 100%).
Here’s what I used to fuel my recovery today:
- Breakfast: 3 egg omelette with red onion, red pepper, spinach, and Daiya; broiled grapefruit; coffee with vanilla soy milk
- Morning Snack: green tea with juice form 1 lemon and a whole lot of honey.
- Lunch: leftover black bean and mango quinoa; tempeh; greens with ginger dressing; Good Belly probiotic shot; coffee with soy milk
- Afternoon Snack: pear with cranberry honey; walnuts; small bowl of cereal with blueberries and soy milk (too much snacking overall. Oh well)
- Dinner: Black bean chili; 1/2 quesadilla made with Daiya; green tea with ginger honey
- Late Night (after work): Brown Ale; rice cake with hummus
Strep? Ear infection? The Funk? Whatever I have this time, it’s not going down easy despite nuking my system with antibiotics.
I took the last three days off from being responsible. I ate stuff I didn’t want to own up to (pizza, cookies, muffins, a frappucino), mainly because I was in no shape to cook, and tried to make myself feel better. There was no working out, obviously, but I did get over into the sun and unseasonably warm weather this weekend for more short photographic excursions (with the results being shared at a Tomboy Photography and on Instagram at AllisonCoffinPhotography).
Today I’m feeling better, if far from completely well, so it’s time to get back to being accountable for my actions.
Here’s what I fueled myself with today:
- Breakfast: Smoothie; whole wheat english muffin with almond butter and raspberry preserves; coffee with vanilla soy milk
- Morning Snack: Green tea with chipotle honey
- Lunch: Tofurkey and Daiya Swiss club on whole wheat; Good Belly probiotic shot; coffee with vanilla soy milk; lavender dark chocolates
- Afternoon Snack: Pear with ginger honey; handful of walnuts; rice cake
- Dinner: Orange glazed tempeh; back bean and mango quinoa; mixed greens with ginger dressing; green tea with chipotle honey
- Late Night (when I got home from my hearing, which went later than expected): brown ale; 1/2 a seitan quesadilla I found in the fridge; rice cake
Pardon my language. I’m sick again, and not the “Gosh, I feel a little under the weather sick,” but “Did anyone get the license plate number of the truck that hit me” sick.
In an admission of defeat I slunk in to see my doctor. She thinks it’s strep, though she isn’t bothering to test since she would give me the same antibiotic even if the test came back negative. Once I’m done with the anti-biotic, I’m going back in for blood work to see if there’s something else going on which could be causing me to get sick so frequently, as 5 times in 3 1/3 months is pretty dramatic, especially for me.
The most likely cause, though, is that my immune system is suppressed because my heart is broken over the fairly recent loss of my dog. I haven’t been…right…since she was first diagnosed with incurable cancer, and her death haunts me. My full treatment then includes getting back to running once I’m well enough, since running does more for my mood than anything else, having more fun, and occasionally giving in to my inner five year old to make her happy.
Here’s what I ate today:
- Breakfast: Smoothie; whole wheat toast with almond butter and raspberry jam; coffee with vanilla soy milk
- Morning Snack: Green tea with ginger honey
- Lunch: Red lentil soup; 1/2 pita with Daiya provolone and tofurky; coffee with vanilla soy milk
- Afternoon Snack: Peppermint and bee balm tea with honey; rice cake with peanut butter and blueberries
- Dinner (made for me by my kids, since by then I had a fever of 101 and was in no shape to cook): whole wheat pasta with tomato sauce and vegan sausage crumble; hot toddy
Thing 1 was home sick for a second day today, and I’m not feeling great. I’ve got a small cough. I can’t believe I’m getting sick again. This would be four times in as many months.
Here’s what I ate today:
- Breakfast: Whole grain waffles with peanut butter, 1/2 banana, and maple syrup; broiled grapefruit; coffee with vanilla soy milk
- Morning Snack: Coffee with vanilla soy milk
- Lunch: Sandwich of sliced apple and leftover fondue spread on while wheat toast; leftover red lentil and spinach soup
- Afternoon Snack: Rice cake with peanut butter and blueberries; clementine; green tea with ginger honey
- Dinner: Brown rice ramen with veggies and tofu; mixed greens with ginger dressing; glass of resiling; rice cake with peanut butter and honey
I woke up feeling a little off this morning. Thing 1 declared herself too sick for school ad went back to bed without a breakfast. Then I couldn’t finish my breakfast smoothie. Every sip made my stomach feel like a rock. I hoped it was psychosomatic, and I guess it was because by lunch I was hungry enough to eat a horse.
Horses everywhere will be relieved to learn that The Hub went out and got me a donut instead. Not exactly the healthiest way to make up for the lost breakfast calories, but certainly better for the horses.
By evening I felt pretty well, perhaps a bit tired, so I stuck to doing just one class at the dojo (1 hour of BJJ).
Here’s what I ate today:
- Breakfast: Blueberry and greens smoothie (half of it, anyway); whole wheat toast with almond butter and honey; coffee with vanilla soy milk
- Morning Snack: Peppermint ginger tea with honey
- Lunch: Leftover lentil soup; sandwich of sliced apple and leftover fondue sauce on whole wheat toast; chocolate soy pudding with a strawberry and a sprinkle of granola
- Afternoon Snack: Almond topped donut; coffee with vanilla soy milk; and then, pre-class, veggies and hummus
- Dinner: Whole wheat spaghetti with tomato sauce and vegan meatballs; mixed greens with balsamic vinaigrette; Whale’s Tale Pale Ale