This is my all time favorite breakfast treat. The kids love to layer this granola with yogurt and fresh fruit in empty jelly jars for breakfast parfait, though I like it just fine tossed together in a bowl (the lazy Mom’s parfait).
Peanut Butter Crunch Granola
Makes 16 half cup servings
- 8 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp or so cinnamon
- Measure the oats into a large bowl. LIne two cookie sheets with parchment or silicone liners. Heat oven to 275 degrees.
- While oven heats, combine water and brown sugar in a pot and bring to a boil, stirring to completely dissolve the sugar. You can do this in the microwave, but use a very large container as it tends to foam up as it boils.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt, peanut butter, cinnamon, and vanilla. Make sure this is well combined, with no big clumps of peanut butter floating around in there.
- Pour mixture over oats and stir to fully coat. You may need to use your hands at the end to ensure that the oats are evenly coated with the other ingredients.
- Spread half of the oat mixture onto each cookie sheet. Put in oven, and bake for about an hour. Cook it less for more chewy granola (no less than 45 minutes, though).
- Remove from oven and allow the granola to cool on the sheets. When cooled, gently break into clumps and store in an airtight container.