My daughter has been taking this wonderful salad, inspired by a recipe in The Candle Cafe Cookbook, to school for lunches this week. It’s become my favorite pita filling, and it’s super easy to make! I hope to keep a batch on hand in the fridge at all times.
Tofu Salad Sandwich Filling
makes about 4 big servings
- 1 pound tofu, cut into 1/2 to 1/4 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons white miso
- 1 teaspoon or so lemon juice (add more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon Spike seasoning
- pinch ground pepper
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- Bring a pot of water to a boil on the stove.
- While the water boils, combine all ingredients except the tofu in a large bowl.
- When the water boils, add the tofu, and boil until the cubes float (which should only take a minute or two).
- Drain the tofu and stir gently in with the remaining ingredients. Serve warm over spinach, or let it cool and stuff into pita or mound on salad greens.