I am having a “feeling fat” day today. I weighed in this morning at 141.2, which is the heaviest I have been in a few weeks. It’s mostly water, which I am retaining due to a food splurge at Pizza Fusion last night and a week of very heavy training, but even knowing that it’s a temporary bump up did mot make seeing a higher number on the scale fun. When a day like this happens, I go through old photos to try to put things in perspective. An extra pound or so of water weight is nothing in light of the 35 pounds I’ve shed in the past few months.
I have to go back to the vacation we took in summer of 2009 to find photos of my before body. When I saw those shots for the first time, it was a real shock. “Is that what my butt really looks like?” I asked myself through tears at one particularly damning series of shots that will never see the light of day. After that vacation, I avoided cameras and began trying to lose weight. It took a full year to find a program that worked for me, one that involved making big changes in my diet and ramping up my physical activity rather than the wishful thinking of “baby steps” and daily walks.
If you want to get big changes, you have to be willing to make big changes.
Here’s what sort of exercises I did this past week:
- Sunday we went skiing. The weather was warm, and the snow was thick and slushy. It was a lot of work, and a whole lot of fun.
- Monday I ran about 3.5 miles in 37 minutes.
- Tuesday I really overdid things. I trained on my bike for 43 minutes (the length of one X-Files episode), I took the dogs on a vigorous 45 minute walk, and then when I learned that I didn’t have to work that night, I took a 1 hour kettlebell class.
- Wednesday I took the kids on a 30 minute easy bike ride, which I followed up with a 45 minute strength and conditioning class and a 45 minute MMA class.
- Thursday I took the dogs on a 50 minute ramble and took a 45 minute MMA class.
- Friday I had planned to take a day of rest, but I was extremely stressed out so I dealt with the stress by running 3.1 miles in 30 minutes followed by HIIT training in the form of 8 100 yard sprints.
- Saturday…like I have it in me to do anything physical today!
Today I am heading out to enjoy a party for which I have baked two batches of mini vegan cupcakes (espresso fudge with vanilla buttercream and vanilla almond with chocolate ganache). I think I’ve earned it.