Today turned out to be a high stress day. The morning went well. The Hub had to leave on a business trip, which was a little stressful but expected. After getting the kids off to school, I took my camera for a lovely walk in the park. I had my midmorning snack to tide me over until the slightly late lunch when the kids got home from their half day at school…and then Thing 1’s bus was in a minor accident. Though it was just a fender bender, the school’s policy was to take them all back to the school and have the nurse examine the kids before releasing them to their parents. We didn’t get home until after 2, at which point we were all starving. The plans for a small bowl of chili and a salad were replaced with a large bowl of chili and crackers.
The accident was in part due to the horrific traffic in town today, which added to the stress. My town is bisected by a state highway, which might as well be the Grand Canyon for how easy it is to cross. We have two big intersections and one minor one that allow people to cross, and today one of them stopped working. My dojo is on the other side of the highway, as is Thing 1’s school. After the police texted that the light was not going to be fixed at least until midnight, we decided to go for a 4 mile run rather than wrangle the traffic.
After dinner, Thing 1 let me know about the her day at school. There is a bit of drama going on that has her stressed out and worried that a fair number of her classmates are very angry with her and another student for something one of her teachers instructed her to do, and seeing her so stressed made me stressed. I don’t want my poor girl to suffer, and there is nothing I can do to make what she’s going through any easier for her other than let her know that she is not at fault no matter what the perception of her classmates may be.
Once I saw her off to bed, I self-medicated with a glass of wine. And a piece of chocolate. And a small bowl of cereal. Because my name is Allison and I am a stress eater.
- Smoothie with banana, local strawberries, frozen blueberries, red leaf lettuce, kale, flax and chia seeds, unsweetened soy milk, and water
- Cinnamon raisin Ezekiel muffin with almond butter
- Coffee with stevia
- Fresh juice: carrot, ginger, celery, kale, cucumber
- 1 large orange
- Filipino rice cake
- Bowl of black bean chili with Wasa flatbread crackers
- Cold brew New Orleans style coffee with unsweetened soy milk and vanilla stevia
- Square of dark chocolate
- Air-popped popcorn with a drizzle of Tuscan herb infused olive oil and salt
- Post-run: big glass of coconut water
- Salad with red leaf lettuce, kale, red onion, cucumber, and Sicilian lemon white balsamic topped with tofu and grape tomatoes cooked in olive oil and pesto
- Glass of Merlot
- Piece of dark chocolate
- Small bowl of Hearty Morning cereal with unsweetened soy milk