Today started with another slow 3+ mile run. My cough was still hanging around, but it’s moving more to the background.
It’s time to assess the damage done by two weeks of lost training. I’m up two pounds, and this time I can’t honestly say it’s water. It’s flub, pure flub, brought on my sitting on the cough and snacking with wild abandon through the afternoons…though to be fair, often the only time I wasn’t coughing miserable was when I was eating. Now I have an even bigger hole to climb out of if I have any hope of meeting my 2 hour goal in Philly 5 weeks from now. If I’m going to make it, I need to get that snacking back under control.
Part of the problem (aside from eating as cough suppressant) is that my schedule now has a 7-8 hour gap between lunch, which happens around noon, and dinner, which happens after class. I can’t go that long without eating, and a small snack just doesn’t seem to be enough. I am toying with the possibility of having four proper meals rather than three on days when I am training at night, while having that last one be smaller than our usual dinners. I can’t try that out today (I have a zoning board hearing, which is a whole different kind of sparring than what I do at the dojo), but I will implement it starting Monday, when I hope to be able to return to training on my regular schedule.
- Smoothie: Bananas, frozen mangoes, Vega One Vanilla Chai, romaine, kale, and water
- Cinnamon raisin Ezekiel muffin with almond butter and raspberry preserves
- Coffee with stevia
- Post run water with NUUN Active Hydration tablet
- Salad: mixed greens, buffalo wing tofu, shiitake mushrooms, cucumbers, red onion, grape tomatoes, avocado, and blackberry ginger balsamic
- Raspberry lime seltzer
- Coffee brewed with cardamom and served with vanilla stevia and unsweetened soy milk
- Piece of 71% dark chocolate
- Red pepper hummus with carrot chips and broccoli
- Leftover pasta from last night topped with Fauxmesan and sriracha and a side of baby spinach sauteed with olive oil, garlic, and Sicilian lemon white balsamic (I served this on a salad plate to try to keep my pasta portion moderate).
- Navel orange
- Wasa crackers with red pepper hummus and cucumbers
- Small dish of granola (dry)
- Hot Toddy
And since it’s been a while since I shared a “progress” photo, here’s what I look like dolled up for work after two weeks on the sick/injured list: