I’m back, baby! Today began with a 9 mile run. It was still a wee bit on the slow side, but I didn’t need any of the walking breaks I had been prepared to allow myself. Thing 1 and I have both lost some of our conditioning, true, however we should be able to recover it in time for Philly if we fold in some serious mid-week speed work sessions.
Normally I would finish a long run with a protein smoothie followed fairly soon after with a big honkin’ lunch. My normal routine has led to some weight gain over the last year, so I’m doing something wrong. Today I decided to skip the smoothie and dive right into a big honkin’ brunch. I also knew that when I took Thing 1 out back-to-school shopping at the mall with a friend of hers, I would not have the willpower to resist the Starbucks Frappuccino when the two girls started begging for them. Smoothie+Lunch+Frap would be too much even on a long run day.
By late evening it was clear that my body really had lost a lot of my previous conditioning because I was hurting more than a run has made me hurt in the past year. Ow, my legs! I went for my post-run analgesic of choice: a beer. Even with the soreness I’m glad I ran the whole 9 miles. It showed me where I stand, which is closer to doing well in Philly than I had feared.
- Pre-run: cinnamon raisin Ezekiel muffin with almond butter and raspberry preserves; coffee with stevia
- Mid-run: water with NUUN Active Hydration tablet
Big Honkin’ Brunch:
- Tofu Scramble: tofu with coconut oil, garlic, red onion, heirloom tomatoes, broccoli, baby spinach, turmeric, Italian herbs, nutritional yeast, and Daiya cheddar topped with avocado chunks and sriracha
- Slice of whole wheat toast
- More watermelon
- Cold brew New Orleans style coffee with soy milk
- Starbucks tall caramel ribbon crunch frappuccino with soy milk but topped with real whipped cream (no willpower, as I had suspected, but when I got to the bottom where it was heavy with the whipped cream, my cough immediately returned, so I stopped drinking it)
- Vegan Chef Salad from Dean’s Natural Market
- Garden of Eatin Pico De Gallo corn chips
- Coconut seltzer
- Breckenridge Brewery Summerbright Ale
- Kettlecorn, which The Hub and Thing 2 brought back from the festival