The weather this morning was that sort of gorgeousness that follows after a big storm: sunny, slight breeze, and comfortably cool. When Thing 1 and I headed out for our morning run, the temperature was in the mid-60’s and perfect for something more intense. We decided to do speed intervals, which we haven’t been able to do in months, due to either illness or hot, humid weather. We started out with 5 minutes of light running for 5 minutes, then alternated between 1 minute of intense effort and 1 minute of mild effort for 10 intervals, and ended with 5 minutes of cool down jogging. Our pace overall was excellent, and we clocked over three miles at an average of 9m17s per mile.
The plan for the evening had been to try to make it through two classes at the dojo. I was a little uncertain of the second, which was a Brazilian Jujitsu Gi class because that is what is most likely to irritate my healing boo-boo, but it seems to have formed enough scar to manage the Gi class if I take it easy. However, the first class wound up being a special treat: the three of us who came were all blackbelt-candidate levels, so we went a bit harder than we do when the class is more of a mix of levels. By the end of the first 45 minute, I knew I didn’t have enough gas left in my tank to make it through another 45 minutes of anything other than a long, hot shower.
- Smoothie: bananas, strawberries, frozen blueberries, red leaf lettuce, romaine, kale, flax and chia seeds, unsweetened soy milk, and water.
- Cinnamon raisin Ezekiel muffin with peanut butter and raspberry preserves
- Coffee with stevia
- Post-run: Water with NUUN Active Hydration tablet
- Small bowl of black bean and sweet potato chili with Daiya cheddar and sriracha
- Salad: red leaf lettuce, romaine, kale, heirloom tomatoes, red onion, avocado, and tangerine balsamic
- Coconut seltzer
- Cold brew New Orleans style coffee with vanilla stevia and unsweetened soy milk
- Piece of 71% dark chocolate
Afternoon Mini Meal:
- GoodGreens Bars: 1/2 of a banana nut bar and 1/2 of a chocolate mint bar (Thing 1 and I were tasting and photographing them for a later review post)
- Navel orange
- Wasa crackers with hummus and sriracha
- Matcha green tea
- Homemade whole wheat pizza with Daiya shreds and vegan pepperoni topped with Fauxmesan and sriracha
- Small salad with red leaf lettuce, romaine, kale, blueberries, walnuts, and Sicilian lemon white balsamic
- Glass of Merlot