I rose at what felt like a cruel hour after arriving near midnight last night. My sister and I ran out to my favorite local coffee shop, the Hot Chocolate Sparrow in Orleans, for pre-run calories and coffee, then she dropped Thing 1, The Hub, and myself up at the Cape Cod National Seashore’s Marconi Station in Welfleet for our long runs. We did 11 miles, mostly on the Cape Cod Rail Trail, ending back at the Sparrow. It was not the best of runs, time-wise, but it felt good running through such a pretty place, even though the path was already crowded with bikes by the time we started our runs.
We re-fueled afterwards with a late brunch out on the deck at the Orleans Inn. As often happens when I run while traveling, I chose to have eggs. My vegan options were limited to salad or a grainy veggie burger, and what I really need after 11 miles is protein. I also went non-vegan later in the day, having a pizza with extra-light cheese and a dish of locally made ice cream. I immediately paid for the dairy with a stuffed-up nose.
I am looking forward to spending the week here filling my time with outdoors adventures and, if I’m going to be honest, too much junk food!
Long Run Fuel and Recovery:
- Pre-run: Coffee with sugar, cranberry orange scone, 1/2 banana
- Mid-run: Water with NUUN Active Hydration Tablet and Clif Shot Energy Gel
- Post-run: Vega Sport Performance Protein bar in chocolate coconut and pineapple flavored coconut water
Brunch @ Orleans Inn:
- Omelette with spinach, tomatoes and mushrooms
- French fries
- Iced tea
- Strawberries and blueberries
Afternoon Snack @ the Sparrow:
- Peanut butter and white chocolate dipped in dark chocolate
- Iced Coffee with liquid sugar
- Handful of Cape Cod Potato Chips
- 2 pints of Cape Cod Beer Summer Blonde
- Whole wheat pizza with peppers, onions, pineapple and very light cheese and garden salad with house dressing from The Red Barn Pizza
- Cape Cod Creamery mint chocolate chip ice cream