Ship’s Log–September 3rd


The plan today was to wake up early, grab a quick breakfast, go on one last quick birdwatching walk through the Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary, and then pack the car and road trip home. I rose at 6 am to a world shrouded in cloud and drizzle, which is not ideal bird watching weather. Now grumpy, I woke my family and we headed out to grab bagel, which we ate in the car parked on the edge of the cliffs at Nauset Light Beach, watching the drizzle fall on the sea. Despite less than ideal conditions, my family decided to take their grumpy mother up to the Sanctuary anyway to see what we could manage.

The first bit was as promised…wet, muggy, and not too fabulous, though we did spot a belted kingfisher on Goose Pond, which is a treat. We decided after an informal vote to press onwards, deeper into the Sanctuary, and hope for the best. We were rewarded a few minutes later with and end to the drizzle, and then, when we hit the marsh area, we ran into a few volunteer naturalists who invited us to help them with the turtle project by opening up some of the caged nests to retrieve the newly hatched diamondback terrapins.

If you are ever in a wildlife sanctuary and someone asks you if you want to help with a project, SAY YES. It is always an awesome experience. Earlier this summer, we said yes at the Edwin B. Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge, and the Things got to handle baby purple martins while helping a researcher band them, and that was almost as much fun as playing with the baby turtles, most no bigger than a silver dollar, before helping release them back into the wild. We spent more than two hours under the hot sun as the fog burned off, not even noticing the sunburns we were getting as we helped rescue, weigh and measure wee little turtles who were only a few hours out of their eggs.

Our short birdwatching walk turning into a hands-onconservation and science expedition was the sort of experience that The Hub and I agree is important to let our kids have, even when it means delaying our departure for home by several hours. We have planned to leave the Cape before lunch, and instead we left after 2. I knew that this would mean getting home too late to do any grocery shopping and waking up tomorrow in a house devoid of real food, but in the end, I think my kids will have gotten more out of a morning with the turtle rescue project than they will out of a breakfast smoothie our first morning back home. We experienced a miracle on the trip home, too…we hit absolutely no traffic jams in the state of Connecticut, which is usually good for an hour or three of delay. The God of Turtles must have called in a favor with the God of Carma to reward us for helping His babies.


  • Whole wheat bagel with egg, soy cheese, soy sausage, and ketchup
  • Coffee with sugar


  • Whole wheat wrap with hummus, lettuce, tomato, hot peppers, avocado, and sprouts.
  • Cape Cod potato chips
  • Seltzer

Afternoon Snack:

  • Iced coffee with soy milk and sugar
  • Piece of toffee and dark chocolate covered oreo


  • Sandwich: 7-grain bread with vegan chicken, soy bacon, soy cheese, avocado, lettuce, tomato, and mayo
  • Coffee with sugar and soy milk
  • 1/4 M&M cookie
  • Seltzer

Late Night:

  • Glass of Cabernet
  • Wasa crackers with mustard, Daiya cheddar, and sriracha
  • Two pieces of saltwater taffy

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s