Today was the last long run before Philly and the start of my taper week. Thing 1 and I set out for 8 miles, and according to MapMyRun, we ran them pretty darn fast. I don’t know if we were actually that fast, or if MapMyRun had the distance off again. The weather was fine, sunny but cool and dry, so it is possible that we shaved 3/4 of a minute off our pace without working harder.
Thing 1 then wanted to get a manicure for the first day of school, a thing she did not get from me. At 40, I’m still a Tomboy who sometimes can pass as a girly-girl, but manicures are just not on my Needs or Wants lists. I took her anyway, and I sit here typing this out with perfectly groomed fingernails the color of Merlot. Or drying blood. It’s a farce, of course, and I’m sure this will chip off just as fast as the vacation manicure she talked me into two weeks ago.
Once my hands were painted and dandied up, I spent the rest of the afternoon in the kitchen, prepping lunch and snack foods for the week. I made two types of baked tofu (soy ginger and BBQ), smokey grilled tempeh, and seasoned popcorn. The Things want to take salads this week, and now they have their choices of proteins to put on top.
I did a bit more snacking late at night than I really ought to have. The Hub is out-of-town, and I was feeling a bit anxious about getting through the upcoming first day of school and hectic work week alone, so that there is some classic stress eating, with a glass of wine thrown on top to help me sleep.
Long Run Fuel and Recovery:
- Pre run: Vegan chocolate oatmeal scone from Whole Foods, coffee with stevia and soy milk
- Mid run: Water with NUUN Active Hydration Tablet
- Post run: Smoothie with frozen peaches, romaine, kale, flax and chia seeds, Vega Sport Performance Protein, and coconut water
- Whole wheat pits stuffed with hummus, tomato, avocado, red onion, cucumber, romaine, and kale.
- Cole slaw
- Mini heirloom plum
- Cranberry-lime seltzer
- Coffee with cardamom, stevia, and almond milk
- Piece of 83% dark chocolate
- Slice of cinnamon raisin Ezekiel toast with almond butter and fresh figs
- Handful of popcorn
- Whole wheat pasta with nooch sauce (nutritional yeast-based cheese sauce), frozen mixed veggies, and Tofurky chicken-apple flavored sausage and topped with a dash of sriracha.
- Salad of romaine, kale, and red leaf lettuce with grape tomatoes and tangerine Balsamic
- Breckenridge Vanilla Porter
- Chocolate soy pudding cup
- Leftovers of the pasta
- Glass of Cabernet
- Dark chocolate