The Hub worked from home today, so he joined me on my morning birding walk. We had planned on a short one since he had a conference call to get back to, but about 30 minutes in we encountered a very sick fox. The poor thing could barely stand. Our park is very popular with dog walkers, not all of whom obey leash laws, and I didn’t want to leave it alone in that state for fear that someone’s dog would bring a very painful end to the poor critter’s life. I waited around for animal control in the hopes that they would be able to help, but when the officer arrived, he said my little fox was too far gone with both mange and distemper to be taken in by their rehabilitation expert and would be put down.
I headed back home with a heavy heart. Nature can be so rough sometimes.
The afternoon brought me a little pick-me-up. Thing 1 and I received special packages in the mail containing our Rock Encore Heavy Medals. If you run more than one Rock and Roll qualifying race in a calendar year, they award you with extra race bling. Thing 1 and I earned these for completing both the DC 1/2 in March and the Chicago 1/2 in July. As we head into this upcoming race weekend, I’ve been feeling very low about my chances of performing well, so it was nice to get the extra medal right before the race to remind myself that whatever my time, it’s still pretty awesome to finish multiple races in one year.
The day ended with demo team practice at the dojo. These extra Friday evening classes are more technical than workout, but given that I was operating on just over 4 hours of sleep, it might as well have been climbing Everest. By the time class was done, so was I for the day. The Hub and Thing 1 had to run out and grab sandwiches for dinner because there was no way I was cooking anything. Put a beer in me, and it’s lights out until tomorrow.
- Smoothie: Banana, strawberries, frozen blueberries, red leaf lettuce, romaine, kale, chia seeds, unsweetened soy milk, and water
- Cinnamon raisin Ezekiel muffin with banana raisin flavored peanut butter
- Salad: Red leaf lettuce, romaine, kale, red onion, grape tomatoes, shiitake, cremini, chickpeas, smokey grilled tempeh, avocado, pistachios, Miso Mayo, blackberry ginger balsamic, and sriracha
- Grapefruit seltzer
- Cold brew New Orleans style coffee with soy milk
- Piece of 83% dark chocolate
- Popcorn with olive oil and Komplete seasoning
- 1 slice whole wheat bread with a little banana raisin peanut butter
- Tempeh avocado wrap from Dean’s Natural Market
- Garden of Eating Pico de Gallo chips
- 1/2 slice of vegan vanilla cake from Dean’s Natural Market
Thing 1 and I modeling our new medals: