Busy day today. For starters, it was The Hub and mine 15th anniversary, which we will be celebrating with a half marathon. Marriage is like a distance race, after all. You have to make sure to use the porta potties before the start, and then pace yourself carefully and have a plan for going the full distance, or you’ll find yourself cramping and puking by mile 5, or something like that. Or maybe we didn’t want to skip the Philly Half, which has become a tradition for Thing 1, and we’ll do something more appropriate in the next week or so.
Before packing up and heading out to Philly, we decided to take the Saturday morning MMA class at the dojo. Thing 1 and I really threw ourselves into it, working out probably a tad more intensely than was wise the day before the race, but it felt great to be hitting the pads with so much gusto.
Usually when we come to Philly for the race, we stay at the Westin, which is now offering some great perks for runners on race weekends. Unfortunately they were booked, so we got a room at Le Meridien instead. Once here, we discovered that our hotel was only a two block walk to the Race Expo, which was convenient. The place is also fairly posh, and our room is incredibly spacious for a center city hotel room.
My plan for dinner had been to pick up something easy at the Reading Street Market and have a picnic in the hotel room, but we were unable to find anything we wanted there. Everything vegetarian looked greasy and heavy…not that the onion rings and fries we got at the brew pub were much better, I suppose. The fresh ale was a nice treat, though, and we would not have been able to get anything like that at the market, so I’m glad we decided to head out to a proper restaurant for dinner.
I’ve gone and signed up for runner tracking to share the big day with you. If you want to follow my race, you can do so through my twitter feed, which should also be posting over there on the left side of this page, for updates as I cross various splits as well as the finish line. I know it’s going to be a long shot, but I’m going to try to beat the 2 hour mark.
- Whole wheat everything bagel with peanut butter
- Fresh squeezed orange grapefruit juice
- Coffee with stevia
- Salad: Red lead lettuce, romaine, kale, red onion, strawberries, blueberries, ginger soy baked tofu, pistachios, Miso Mayo, and blackberry ginger balsamic
- Coconut seltzer
- Cold brew New Orleans style coffee with soy milk
- Piece of 83% dark chocolate
- Marshmallow dipped in chocolate fondue (Expo Swag, Baby)
- Vegan Whoopie Pie from Flying Monkey Bakery at Reading Street Market
Dinner @ Nodding Head Brewery and Restaurant:
- Tulip glass of Lava ale, an unfiltered blonde brewed with vanilla beans and lavender. It was wonderful.
- Vegan burger on brioche with cole slaw and BBQ sauce
- Onion rings and french fries
- Mint toffee chocolate covered pretzels