Today was a big one, with 6 hours or so of a seminar in BJJ and Jeet Kune Do taught by Sifu Richard Bustillo. It was a great experience! Once upon a time, The Hub and I had trained for a short while at a Jeet Kune Do facility, where the head instructor took himself very seriously and held himself high above his students. I was a little worried that Sifu Richard would be like that, but instead he was friendly, approachable, and had a sense of humor…a trait that I think is very important but often under appreciated in martial artists.
People who can kill with their bare hands should also know how to use laughter to keep a situation relaxed so that they don’t have to use those lethal hands, amiright?
I enjoyed the Jeet Kune Do portion of the day in particular. I think I learned more in three hours with Sifu Bastillo than I had in three months at my previous dojo! The style is so fluid and, when done correctly, fast and natural. I hope to have opportunities in the future to practice it in greater depth.
- Whole wheat everything bagel with flavored tofu cream cheeses. (sun-dried tomato on one half and garlic herb on the other)
- Small glass of apple cider
- Coffee with a little vanilla stevia
- Grilled “Cheese”: whole wheat bread, Daiya slices, tofurky, and mustard
- Mini green grapes
- Cold brew New Orleans style coffee with soy milk
- Chocolate chip cookie
Afternoon After Class Snack:
- Cinnamon sugar cider donut
- Coffee with cinnamon, cocoa, vanilla stevia, and unsweetened soy milk
- Slice of leftover cheese less pizza
- Vegan “beef” with broccoli
- Peppers and mushrooms
- Brown rice
- Pumpkin spice marshmallow