New Jersey has a made up holiday every November called Teacher’s Convention. The schools close for two days so that the state’s teachers can gather in Atlantic City, ostensibly to attend workshops that will help them become more effective educators. While they are roaming the convention floor and nearby casinos, we parents find ourselves with our kids at home.
I made use of today, the first day of Teacher’s Convention, to take Thing 1 for her annual physical. She has decided to switch from her pediatrician’s practice, where there are so many doctors that we can’t always see the one she likes and sometimes gets stuck with one of the men she’s not comfortable with, to my doctor, whose medical staff is all female. I believe that having a doctor who you are comfortable with and trust is a key component to good health, and so it was a pleasure to share my doctor, whom I adore, with my daughter.
As she had with me, my doctor recommended a gluten fast for Thing 1. We talked it over and decided to start next week, after we’ve had a chance to use up the gluten-based vegan sausages in the fridge so that they don’t go to waste. We don’t intend to load up on gluten-free bread substitutes, though, since those are pricey and taste like cardboard. I am going to spend some time tomorrow and the next day coming up with meal ideas that are naturally gluten-free, like tonight’s tofu meatballs on mashed veggies.
The Things and I took the dogs on a 1 mile walk this morning. In the evening, I took a 45 minute BJJ class. I had intended to stay for Muay Thai as well, but my elbow was hurting so much after the BJJ that I decided to back off.
- Omelette with 2 certified free range eggs, red pepper, red onion, and broccoli, and hot sauce
- 1 slice whole wheat toast
- Black bean chili with leftover sweet potato, cauliflower, chickpea mash
- Red leaf lettuce, romaine, and kale with shiitake, vegan caesar dressing, and fauxmesan
- Coconut seltzer
- Coffee with cinnamon, cocoa, vanilla stevia, and unsweetened soy milk
- 1 no bake brownie bite
- Chocolate banana chia seed pudding with raisins and walnuts
- Wasa crackers with guacamole hummus and mustard
- Sprouted tofu meatballs on leftover sweet potato mash with pizza sauce
- Red leaf lettuce, romaine, and kale dressed in blackberry balsamic, miso, and sriracha
- Grapefruit seltzer