Today was a big day for the Things. This afternoon they participated in their first martial arts sparring tournament, which was held at a nearby sister school. The tournament was an interesting learning experience for them, though I’m not sold on this sparring for points thing as having any value for teaching self-defense. Points are awarded only for hits or kicks to the body and kicks to the head, but not for any other of the strikes for which they train. This lead to Thing 2 completely dominating both his opponents without scoring as many points.
Though he didn’t win on points, he was happy with how well he had stood his ground in both matches. My kid knows what really counts in the long-term. He came away with the knowledge that if push comes to shove he CAN defend himself, points be damned.
Thing 1 competed in a much tougher, though smaller, teenage group, in which she was the youngest participant by far. Her first round was against a girl four years older than herself, and this girl stepped onto the mat expecting an easy win. She got a rude awakening. Training with adults has been very good for my daughter, and she was not intimidated by sparring against an older, cockier opponent. It wasn’t an easy match, but Thing 1 walked away with a clean victory.
For her second match, Thing 1 competed against her first opponent’s twin brother. He was faster and stronger, but Thing 1 held her own. Though he won, she made him work for it and even scored a few good hits for herself. She placed second overall and was extremely proud of herself.
45 minutes MMA class with lots of intense conditioning
- Whole wheat everything bagel with peanut butter
- Coffee with soy milk
- Water with Nuun Active Hydration tablet
- Brown rice pasta with tomato sauce and tofu meatballs
- Red leaf lettuce, romaine, kale and tangerine balsamic
- Coffee with cocoa and cinnamon
- Coconut seltzer
- Latte with soy milk
Dinner @ Good Karma Cafe:
- The table share the Whole Lotta Love live food plate for an appetizer: dehydrated buckwheat and flax bread with shredded seasonal vegetables, crunchy dehydrated kale chip and topped with a sunflower herb cheese and guacamole.
- My entree, of which I ate half, was the Love Bowl: sauteed seasonal greens, brown rice, black beans and tempeh topped with spicy peanut sauce
- Dessert: I shared a slice of chocolate ganache cake with The Hub