Day three of the cleanse. Still no drama. I kinda wish there was a little drama, so I knew this was actually doing something.
My work schedule today was crazy, and I can’t believe I managed to fit in a run. At last. This was my first run in two weeks, and I think my foot has finally healed enough to handle it. The top is still a wee tender if I press on it hard, but there was no pain while I was out on the trail.
I’m really glad I got that run in, not just for the physical benefits, but also for the mental ones. A good run during the day helps me keep myself balanced and focused when I have a rough night out, and tonight’s hearing counted as a fairly rough one, with a crowd of unhappy neighbors there to oppose my client’s application. I much prefer a collaborative process for development to the sort of confrontational stuff that I experienced tonight. A good pre-hearing run sure does help me keep my stress response under control when things get heated in a hearing.
Since tonight’s hearing involved an architecturally interesting building, and she wants to be an architect, I brought Thing 1 along with me to watch. It was a great experience to see the process through her eyes. I don’t know if she’ll still want to pursue architecture after watching the architect get grilled by an opposition attorney and an angry public, but she came away from the hearing with a new appreciation for how the ability to present and sell a design is as important as the ability to craft one. The hearing went later than expected, and though I was offered the chance to leave early to take her home, she insisted on staying to the end to see how it all turned out. Fortunately the project was approved, so she got to witness a happy ending…happy at least for my client.
Afternoon 3.5 mile run at an average pace of 9:30. I was trying to not push myself too hard, since the foot still hurts a wee bit.
- Advocare fiber drink
- Smoothie: banana, frozen blueberries, mixed greens, flax and chia seed, unsweetened soy milk, and water
- Sprouted grain Ezekiel muffin with peanut butter
- Monkey picked oolong
- Salad: Red leaf lettuce, romaine, kale, cucumber, fennel, zucchini, carrot, grape tomato, shiitake, tempeh bacon, blackberry ginger balsamic, miso, and sriracha
- Coffee with cinnamon, cocoa, and soy milk
- Red grapes
- Wasa crackers with hummus
- Brown rice pasta with baby broccoli, grape tomatoes, red onion, garlic, and vegan chicken
- Peach-pear seltzer
- Wasa crackers and hummus
- Red grapes
- Orange vanilla seltzer. What I really wanted was a beer to help me unwind after that hearing, but since I’m doing the cleanse I decided to be good and have a seltzer instead. It did not help me unwind, but happily the cat decided to snuggle with me, and her warm purring body pressed up against my face did the trick.