Day whatever of the cleanse. Same as yesterday: no obvious effects. Sticking with the deprivation diet just doesn’t work for me during the holidays. I think I would rather have a few extra pounds hanging around that deny myself the good times that come with having good food with friends.
Tonight, for example, The Hub and I went out with friends to try Goldie’s, a vegan restaurant in Asbury Park. We had planned this weeks ago, and I wasn’t going to let a cleanse interfere with some much-needed fun. In a way, this outing was an early start on my resolutions for next year, one of which is going to be to try a new restaurant at least once a month to try to find more local eateries that accommodate vegan dining. An all-vegan place seemed like an easy way to start! The meal was nothing short of amazing, and I can’t wait to go back.
After dinner the four of us headed over to Watermark, a second story lounge on the boardwalk overlooking the beach. I can’t decide if we were the least cool or the most cool people in the room, as we were the only people there who didn’t seem to be trying really hard to look and act cool. They served a local beer on tap, so I gave that a try, though the cranberry mojito was also seriously tempting.
Nothing says “I’m on a cleanse” like chasing a huge dinner and a rum drink with a beer, amiright?
45 minute MMA class
- Tofu scramble with red onion, garlic, grape tomatoes, chanterelle mushrooms, and broccoli
- 1 slice whole wheat toast
- 1 small banana
- Small bowl of leftover yam, peanut, and kale soup
- Salad: red leaf lettuce, romaine, kale, cucumber, red grapes, and ginger sesame dressing
- Coffee with a little vanilla stevia
- Wasa crackers and hummus
Dinner @ Goldie’s in Asbury Park:
- Chef’s special treat: roasted fig with mustard and chives
- Drink: Spiced pear, cranberry juice, and rum
- Shared appetizers:steak fries with remoulade and gravy, toasted rosemary bread with white bean spread and radishes, and fried hen-of-the-woods mushrooms
- entrée: truffle infused tempeh on a bed of baby broccoli
- Dessert: macadamia fudge cake and truffles, shared with The Hub
After Dinner Drinks @ Watermark:
- Kane brewery Oatmeal Ale