A friend contacted me mid-afternoon to alert me to the presence of a snowy owl sitting on a beachfront roof top a 5 minute drive from home. I grabbed my camera and a visiting friend (and reader of this blog…Hello, Jay!), and headed out immediately to check it out. The bird was still there; in fact, it stayed there all afternoon, and I was able to direct a few other birders it’s way after I visited it, because we birders always pay that sort of information forward when we can.
While out there at the beach, I turned my camera towards some ducks diving in the surf, and added my first new bird of the year, the long tailed duck. An auspicious start to the new year! I then celebrated this small victory with a four mile run to log some miles before the winter storm takes my running paths away from me later this week.
4 mile run and 10 minutes of stretching. And then I remembered that I still had to do 15 push ups, which were a bit harder than usual. Probably should do those before runs in the future, rather than afterwards, when I’m exhausted.
- Whole wheat Matcha almond and cranberry scone
- Fresh fruit salad: pineapple, kiwi, red grapes, and clementine
- Fresh squeezed orange juice
- Black coffee
- Soy milk cappuccino with chocolate stevia
- 1 vegan whole grain snickerdoodle
- Big-ass salad: red leaf lettuce, romaine, kale, green cabbage, red cabbage, carrots, cucumbers, and radishes with sesame ginger dressing
- Vegan finger foods: chickenless nuggets, vegan “wings” and vegetable potstickers
- Raspberry lime seltzer
- Post run: water with NUUN tablet, banana, and spiced pecans
- Handful of “cheesy” kale chips
- Black eyed peas with kale, onion, garlic, fire-roasted tomatoes, and Tofurky spinach pesto sausages
- Glass of red wine
- A little sparkling apple juice
- Dark chocolate with almonds and sea salt