Sometimes I get a little sick of smoothies and toast for breakfast, and I want something more interesting that a bagel with peanut butter. One of my favorite pre-vegan breakfast treats was an egg and cheese sandwich, and I’ve finally figured out how to make a delicious and quick vegan version that offers a good amount of protein and scratches the itch for a warm, savory breakfast sandwich.
Vegan Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich
- 4 Whole wheat sandwich flats (or bagels, or English muffins, or 8 sliced of toast, or pita bread…use whatever you want)
- 1 pound firm or extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- a little Braggs Liquid Aminos. If you don’t have any, soy sauce or tamari would also work just fine.
- 1 tbs or so coconut oil
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 12 slices vegan bacon. I used Lightlife Smart Bacon, but any type will do.
- 4 slices vegan cheddar. I used Daiya Cheddar Style Slices.
- Salt, pepper, ketchup, hot sauce…whatever condiments float your boat
- Wrap the tofu in a cotton towel and place a heavy plate on top for 10 minutes to press and drain the extra water. Unwrap and slice into 4 thin slabs…cut along the thinnest side, not the fattest. Drizzle on each side with a little Braggs Liquid Aminos.
- Start cooking the bacon per package instructions in one pan. You can do this while cooking the tofu.
- In another pan (a big skillet or cast iron griddle) melt the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Once it’s fully melted, sprinkle the turmeric over the oil, and stir to mix. Quickly add the tofu slabs, turning once right away to make sure both sides get coated. Cook on each side 2-3 minutes, or until starting to brown.
- Top each slab with a slice of cheese, then cover and reduce heat for 1-2 minutes to melt cheese.
- Build your sandwich. I hope I don’t have to tell you how to do this step, but just in case: put the tofu, bacon, and condiments between two pieces of bread, bagel, muffin, or roll. Or just shove it into a pita.