We had a friend visiting from out of town tonight, and took it as an opportunity to try another new-to-us restaurant. Since he was staying in Asbury Park, we hit up another Asbury eatery, Brickwall Tavern and Dining Room. I would give this place 5 starts for the impressive selection of craft brews on tap, and maybe three and a half to four for the tavern food, which was decent and satisfying, but not exactly creative, as least when it comes to the vegetarian and vegan selections.
It was great that they offered a vegan chili as well as other, traditional pub fare like burgers and chicken wings. My chili was good but mild, and I did need to hit it pretty hard with the hot sauce. That’s fair, though, as not everyone likes their chili to kick their teeth in the way I do. The Hub and Thing 1 seemed pleased with their black bean burgers. The portions were crazy generous, especially for any fried starch, which means we left feeling stuffed and happy.
The best part of the meal, by far, was the beer flight. Rather than picking just one of their many brews to try, I was able to try four of them over the coarse of dinner without rendering myself incapable of walking back to the car. The Hub also had a flight, and between the two of us we were able to sample 7 brews (could have been 8, but we both ordered the Hudson Pale Ale). My favorite of all of them was the Brooklyn Cuvee la Boîte, which was part of The Hub’s flight.
Overall it was a good night out, and I think we’ll be back.
Run 3.5 miles. It was not an easy run. My legs felt heavy, so I suspect I am fighting off a cold.
- Smoothie: banana, pineapple, frozen blueberries, red leaf lettuce, romaine, kale, flax and chia seed, Warrior Blend Raw Protein, cinnamon, and water
- 1 sliced toasted yoga bread with peanut butter and raspberry preserves
- 1/2 grapefruit
- Coffee with vanilla stevia and unsweetened soy milk
- Big Ass Salad: red leaf lettuce, romaine, kale, red cabbage, blueberries, strawberries, radishes, tempeh, chickpea nuggets, blackberry ginger balsamic, miso, and sriracha
- Peach-pear seltzer
- Coffee with pumpkin pie spice, vanilla stevia, and soy milk
- Piece od dark chocolate and a few mini marshmallows
- Carrots, broccoli, mini pita, and hummus
- Handful of popcorn
- Handfuls here and there of other stuff: a few almonds, some dried blueberries, a bit more chocolate and marshmallows. I find it hard to not graze when I’ve had so little sleep the night before, and last night I didn’t get home until nearly midnight.
Dinner @ Brickwall Tavern (#2 for 2014):
- Beer flight: 5 ounces each of NJ Beer Company Hudson Pale Ale; Kane Overhead Imperial IPA; Flying Dog Kujo Coffee Stout; and Breckenridge Ophelia Hoppy Wheat
- Shared order of handout potato chips
- Bowl of vegan chili with chips
- Sweet potato fries