Last night I dreamt that it was already Monday. Clearly my poor brain just wanted to skip over today’s testing. Tough luck, little brain. You can’t dream your way out of BJJ testing.
The good news is that I survived it quite well and got my stripe. The partners I rolled with were all really cool, and no one seemed to feel the need to crank me into any high-speed arm bars. I was pleasantly surprised to have come through it so comfortably. Afterwards, I felt so much…lighter, I guess, probably because all the anxiety-based tension I had been carrying around in my muscles for the past week was released.
Thing 2 did so well that he skipped his fourth stripe and earned his next belt (yellow, for the kids). The beaming pride on his face as he was given the new belt was juxtaposed by the grimace and fighting off of tears from Thing 1, who was standing behind him bewildered as to why she wasn’t also getting yellow belt. Turns out it is because the instructors decided that she was too advanced to be testing with the kids group, probably because she trains with us adults, and so next time she’ll be testing with her parents as we all go for our blue belts together.
And test again, I will. Having survived today without injury, I am feeling a bit more optimistic about BJJ in general. I think part of what made it a good experience was the people I worked with (none of the women who injured me in the past were even there). Another part may very well be the extra ab work I’ve been doing the past two months. My core is so much stronger, and that is translating well on the mats.
As a result of his successful testing, I let Thing 2 choose a celebratory dinner. This was a tactical error. He choose take-out pizza. I will be swollen like a sausage tomorrow from eating too much of the salty crust as well as the beer that washed it all down, but I’ll manage. At least we didn’t get cupcakes, eh?
- Morning: 45 minute slow walk in the park to settle my nerves; February Ab Challenge Day 22 (70 sit ups/ 20 push ups/ 1m plank)
- Afternoon: BJJ testing. Total time spent on the mat was 2.5 hours, but a lot of that was sitting around and waiting my turn.
- Daily Detox Drink
- Tofu scramble with red pepper, carrots, and broccoli, served on two corn tortillas and topped with Salsa Lizano, salsa, and sriracha
- Smoothie: blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, banana, almond milk, ice, and water
- Cold brew New Orleans style coffee with soy milk
- Whole wheat wrap with black beans, vegan nacho cheer sauce, sliced tomatoes, and baby romaine
- Blueberry KIND bar
- Coconut water with pineapple
- 3 slices whole wheat pizza with Daiya cheese and veggies
- Beer. I don’t know what kind.
- Handful of vegan marshmallows
- 1 finger of Godiva liquor