Oh, what a day. The Hub and Thing 2 competed in the NJBJJF Brazilian Jiu Jitsu tournament. We had to arrive by 10 for the kids’ rules discussion. It was about 30 minutes away from home. That meant that in order to fit in my long run, I had to get up at 6 and hit the trail by 7, just as the sky was starting to lighten. The temperature was thankfully above freezing, but it was still a hard and lonely run in the cold.
The tournament was an all-day affair. Thing 2 went on the mats around 11, and The Hub didn’t roll until 4. I spent 6 hours on my feet on the hard gym floor, wishing I owned an ugly pair of fluffy, smooshy Crocs instead of the hard-soled combat boots that my feet were suffering in. It was a good day, though, with everyone doing their best and bringing home some new medals for the family collection.
Food-wise today was just about a total failure. With our schedule as crammed as it was, there was a lot of junk eaten. My pre- and post-run meals weren’t too bad, as those are supposed to be a bit carb-heavy, but after that it fell apart. We barely had time to slap some peanut butter and jelly between slices of bread before running out the door to the tournament, and if I hadn’t managed that it would have been Doritos and slices of pizza from the concession stand. The post-tournament cupcake is a family tradition, but we ate them so late and on empty stomachs, so it actually made my poor stomach hurt. My parents were kind enough to make a dinner for us, and it was pretty good, but following it up with another dessert was a disaster. By the time we got home I could already feel the effects of the sugar hangover building. I’ll pay dearly for this tomorrow.
- Training run: 5 miles early in the cold
- March Full Body Challenge: 10 push ups/40 sit ups/55 squats
- Pre-run: Coffee with soy creamer; 3/4 cup Mesa Sunrise cereal, palm full of blueberries, and unsweetened soy milk
- Post-run: Whole wheat pancakes with strawberries, maple syrup, red walnuts, and unsweetened coconut yogurt; another cup of coffee
- Coffee with soy milk
- Peanut butter and jelly on whole wheat
- Kind Fruit and Nut Bar
- Post-tournament: banana caramel vegan cupcake at Papa Ganache with another cup of coffee with soy milk
- Pasta with veggies and tomato sauce
- Red wine
- 1/2 slice vegan apple pie pizza from Papa Ganache