Some days it’s just impossible to judge what the appropriate amount of layers for a run should be, and today was one of those days. The temperature hovered right around 50, and I was heading out at the tail end of some rain showers…so I had to make a call on wearing the rain coat. Would it still be misting out when I ran? Would the clouds part and bathe me in warm sunshine? I just didn’t know. I decided to wear the raincoat, worried that if I got cold and wet I would be more vulnerable to catching Thing 1’s fever.
Boy, did I blow that call. By the time I had finished my strides, the skies did indeed part and the sun did indeed bathe me in heat. It was like running in a sauna. I tried opening the coat, but then my iPhone bumped around awkwardly in the pocket smacking my in the ribs, throwing off my rhythm. I thought about taking the raincoat off and wrapping it around my waist, but then I would have to hold my phone in my hand while I ran, something I HATE doing. So I decided to just suffer and sweat. By the time I was done, I was so soaked under that raincoat that I might as well have gone and run in the full rain without it.
I now understand fully why wrestlers who are trying to make weight will go for a run bundled up head to toe.
- 20 second plank
- Training run: 1/2 mile warm up, drills and 3 100-meter strides, 6 intervals of 1/4 mile hard and 90 seconds of jogging, 3/4 mile easy run to cool down.
- Oatmeal with applesauce, cinnamon, raspberries, blueberries, bananas, ground flax seed, and red walnuts
- Coffee with soy creamer
- Ginger, peppermint, green tea
- Leftover sloppy joe filling with 1/2 whole grain wrap to sop it up
- Cole slaw
- Red leaf lettuce, romaine, kale, red pepper, cucumber, and balsamic vinegar
- Dark chocolate, almonds, and cranberries
- Pre run: Thin mints
- Post run: chocolate soy milk with a pinch of salt
- Red lentil and spinach soup. I used this recipe, pretty much following it exactly. The family loved the so much that they are already demanding that I make it again.
- 1/2 piece of whole wheat naan.
- Thin mints
- Iced ginger peppermint green tea
Late Night (sometimes when I work late, I come home incredibly peckish. This was one of those nights):
- Wrap with hummus and green olives
- Thin mints
- Almond milk with a splash of Godiva Liquor.