Today had been scheduled as a run day, but Thing 1 has such terrible sunburn on her shoulders that we feared running would be too painful. Instead, we headed over to the high school track for a little light warm up, stretching, and work with the discus and shot put.
Thing 1 had a wonderful season throwing this past spring, and so for her birthday she had asked for her own discus and shot to use for practice through the summer. Letting her teach Thing 2 and myself the basics of throwing we a fun change from our usual routine, and watching her throw helped me assess which MMA Fitness moves are best suited to helping her develop as a thrower.
The afternoon was spent out at the movies, well away from the brutally heat and relentless sun. Several of our local theaters have converted to the reclining chair style of seating, which is good news for my kids because I am more likely to agree to an afternoon like this when I know that I’ll be comfortable! I am going to have to learn to curb my movie snacking if we make this a regular sunburn/rainy day treat.
- Morning: session at the track, with some running, calisthenics, and work with the discus and shot put
- Evening: 45 minutes MMA
- Whole grain blueberry corn muffin
- Smoothie: banana, strawberry, pineapple, frozen blueberry, red leaf lettuce, romaine, kale, and almond milk
- Coffee with vanilla stevia and almond milk
- Palm full of spiced almonds
- Korean BBQ glazed tempeh with cole slaw in multi-grain flat
- Pickled bean salad
- Red grapes
- Cold brew New Orleans style coffee with almond milk
- Popcorn and diet coke at the movies
- Hummus and crackers
- Post-class: Italian ice push pop
- Vegan hot dog on whole wheat bun with mustard and sauerkraut
- Mixed greens with Sicilian lemon white balsamic and tabbouleh
- Whale’s Tale Pale Ale