I stepped on the scale this morning, and the number there put me in a rotten mood for the whole day. I weighed more today than I have in two years. FFS.
That’s it, dammit. I am going to aim to drop ten pounds by August 23rd, the day we leave for vacation. I know what the problem is: there’s too much junk food creeping around in my daily diet. I started today by refusing to let my kids whine me into going for ice cream after an afternoon on the beach. I trimmed the snacking down to a minimum. I didn’t skip the run even though I thought I lacked the oomph to do it–I did not in fact lack the oomph and finished strong, which goes to show you that sometimes the first steps are the hardest part of the run.
The Hub and I had a chat about cutting the junkier foods out of our diet: the tofu hot dogs, the pre made veggie burgers, the bags of salty corn chips, the fake cheese, and sugary protein bars are all going on hiatus for a while. I’m going to look for some recipes for homemade vegan burgers to try out. There will likely be a few trips to the vegan-friendly ice cream parlor by the beach allowed this summer, but no more than once a week as a special treat, and even then, only a kiddie cup portion.
If I manage to drop those 10 pounds, I’m going to get myself a special treat during our vacation at the end of the month, maybe one of the crazy expensive bird sculptures I’ve been eying up for the past two years.
- 30 minute stroll on the boardwalk
- 3.33 mile tempo run
- Whole grain blueberry corn muffin
- Smoothie: banana, frozen mango, red leaf lettuce, romaine, kale, Vega One Vanilla Chai, and water
- Coffee with vanilla stevia and almond milk
- Cold brew New Orleans style coffee with vanilla stevia and almond milk
- Tempeh BLT on 7-Grain bread with pickled red peppers and BBQ mayo
- Veggie straws
- Coffee, black
- 2 Wasa crackers with hummus and green olives
- 1 piece of salt water taffy
- Tofu scrambled with black beans, red pepper, red onion, garlic, spinach, chili powder, cumin, coriander and soy sauce served with 3 soft corn tortillas, salsa, and peri peri sauce
- Watermelon and mint drizzled with balsamic vinegar
- Small piece of fudge