With the weather being a bit cooler today, Thing 1 and I decided to head out after school to try once again to break out 5k time record. Our best time was several years ago at an early June race, where we finished in 26:48. Early this week we came 4 seconds short of that, which has been weighing on her mind since. Four freaking seconds.
Today when we headed out, we made a few adjustments to make it easier to shave those seconds off. First, we walked to the park and started inside rather than starting at our driveway and running there. This not only gave us a bit more warm up, but it also eliminated any delays at street crossings. Second, I set my app to coach us for 5k exactly rather than just give me mile times so I wouldn’t have to fumble with getting my phone out to check the distance after that third mile for the 3.1 mile point. Third, I saved my breath by not telling her our pace as we went, which allowed me to keep myself just at the red line point for most of the run. Even a few words can slow me down for several strides when we’re running hard. These little things matter when seconds count.
The end result: we finished in 26:22, a whopping 26 seconds faster than our previous best!
Distance to goal weight: 20.5 pounds
- 5k at full speed
- 45 minutes MMA demo team practice
- Oatmeal with flax seed, applesauce, plain Greek style yogurt, banana, walnuts, and maple syrup
- Coffee with vanilla stevia and almond milk
- Kind Plus Blueberry Flax bar
- Warm red cabbage salad with tempeh bacon and shiitake mushrooms
- Wasa crackers with hummus
- 1/2 serving of freezer fudge
- Pre-run: coffee with vanilla stevia and almond milk
- Post-run: Coco Kale smoothie from Dean’s Natural Market
- Tempeh avocado wrap
- Cantaloupe slice
- Orange shandy
- other 1/2 of freezer fudge