Yeah, so…that hill run yesterday kicked my ass. I woke up this morning with my hamstrings so tight that I thought they might snap if I tried walking down stairs. Fortunately, they did not. They loosened up a bit in class, but the pain was still quite exquisite. I was waddling around noticeably, so much so that our school’s head joking referred to me as Grandma. At least I was there, though. Moaning and waddling, true, but I was there.
Six days out from Philly, it’s time to assess my ability to run another half next weekend. From here, it’s not looking like a smart thing to do. Maybe, just maybe, if I hadn’t run those hills yesterday I might be feeling more optimistic, but I’m glad I ran them. Having one short-but-difficult run reduce me to a waddling granny tells me that my body is not ready to be pushed as hard as I would need to in order to PR next weekend. If I try to do it anyway, I might be risking serious injury, the sort that could sideline me for weeks.
Pushing for a PR in 2014 would not be worth losing the rest of the things I have planned this year. A more realistic goal might be to focus on a PR for a local race that will be run next spring, and in the meantime, work to shed the extra baggage and increase my speed more slowly.
Maybe 2015 will be my year.
Distance to goal weight: 22 pounds
- 45 minutes MMA, mostly leg work
- 45 minutes no-ti BJJ
- Corn muffin with fruit preserves
- Coffee with vanilla stevia and almond milk
Lunch @ Noodles and Company:
- Japanese pan noodles with tofu
- Iced Tea
- Locally made donut
- Coffee with sugar and almond milk
- Salad of mixed greens, bell peppers, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, vegan “chicken” nuggets, and sesame dressing
- Red sangria. Multiple glasses. I didn’t want to feel my legs anymore. It didn’t work.
- A handful of potato chips