I survived today’s tournament. As expected, there was no one else in my division to compete against, nor was there anyone else in the division above and below. I was moved up two division to roll with my friend. We went the full five minutes for our match, though it felt like only 2. She won on points, and I’m happy for her. We both rolled hard, but not so hard that we injured one another.
Poor Thing 1 was not so lucky. She was caught in a deep arm bar and ended her match in tears. Our school head came up to me later to check on her…she’ll be sore for a few days, but nothing was broken or torn. He said he thought she teared up not because of the pain but because she is a warrior, and warriors hate to lose. There’s probably a bit of truth in that.
Thing 2 also ended his match in tears, but they were tears of frustration. His opponent had caught him off guard and went for an arm bar right away, and the ref ended thematic before Thing 2 tapped. He felt cheated, since he hadn’t actually tapped out yet. His second match went a bit longer, though he tapped out when his opponent put too much pressure on his spine with a move of questionable legality. Sometimes the refs don’t catch everything.
The Hub also was tapped out, but only after a hard battle.
We are setting our focus now on the next tournament, which is 5 months away. That gives myself and Thing 1 time to drop enough weight to be in more populated divisions, and it gives Thing 2 some time to build up his strength and work on being a bit more aggressive.
Distance to goal weight: 22.1 pounds
- BJJ tournament. 1 5-minute match
- Whole wheat pancakes with diced apple topped with walnuts, cranberries, and maple syrup
- Coffee with a little sugar and almond milk
- Coffee with almond milk
- Whole wheat pita with hummus, lettuce, and tomato
Post Tournament Treat:
- Vanilla cupcake
- Black tea with vanilla, basil, and honey
- Gardein stuffed “turkey” with gravy
- Kale, broccoli, and Brussel sprouts salad with cranberries, seeds, and poppyseed dressing
- Dark chocolate covered frozen bananas