It’s been a good long while since I’ve posted here. I got tired of blogging my food. I got tired of tracking my food. And then, by mid-autumn, I got tired of caring about my food. The holiday season was particularly rough. Around Thanksgiving, my dog was diagnosed with an incurable, untreatable form of aggressive canine cancer. I stress ate my way through batch after batch of holiday cookies (and order after order of pizza), trying to find some sort of Christmas spirit while I watched her waste away. She died between Christmas and New Year’s, and then I switched to eating my way through my grief for a few more weeks.
The net impact on my health has been decidedly negative. I put on a few pounds, which is to be expected when you’re pounding back cookies, but I’ve also been sick more than not for the past three months. As I sit writing I am laid low with my third cold/sinus infection since October. My FACE hurts, along with my back, my knees, and my spirit.
I don’t want to feel like this any longer, so I asked myself today, when was the last time I felt truly well? Happy, energized, healthy, etc? It’s been a while. 6 months? Maybe a year? It was certainly back when I was blogging my daily food, which kept me “honest.” It was probably back when I was making a weekly pilgrimage to Whole Foods, where the produce is so much fresher than the stuff we’ve been buying at Costco. It was at least 10 pounds down from where I am now. And it was when I held a very firm line against dairy consumption, making my poor husband drive 20 minutes away for a vegan pizza if we wanted take out.
Seems clear what I need to do. I picked up a few new cookbooks for inspiration and headed out to Whole Foods for the weekly shopping. I cracked out my phone to snap a photo of every meal. And I’m back to blogging.
Here’s what I ate yesterday:
- Breakfast @ Whole Foods: Chocolate chip vegan scone, tub of fresh fruit (split 4 ways with The Fam), coffee with vanilla soy milk
- Morning Snack: Green tea with ginger laced honey
- Lunch: Cutlets made with leftover roasted cauliflower, vegan sausage, and Daiya mozzarella topped with tofu red pepper cream sauce (from Thug Kitchen) on a bed of Moroccan Spiced Couscous (also from Thug Kitchen); coffee with vanilla soy milk
- Afternoon Snack: Apple with almond butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon; peppermint and bee balm tea with honey
- Dinner: Minestrone (again, from Thug Kitchen) and 2 slices of crusty bread
- After Dinner: Spiced hot toddy with rum. (basically, cinnamon, clove, ginger, and star anise simmered in hot water, and then served with 2 tbs honey, 2 tbs rum, and the juice of one whole lemon)